Thursday, January 1, 2009

Savoring a new year...again!



There’s something inherently optimistic about creating a fresh page, with the old wiped away and the new waiting to be written. –Gayle Goodson Butler

During a lull at the Kingwood Library circulation desk yesterday afternoon, Kim and I talked about our plans for the evening ahead – New Year’s Eve.

“Don’t go to bed early,” she warned. “Whatever you’re doing at midnight – that’s what you’ll be doing all next year.”

Wow! I wish someone had told me that a long time ago. Maybe then I wouldn’t have slept through such a large part of my life.

Not literally, you understand, but I now realize there were huge blocks of time when I wasn’t nearly as engaged in my life as I could have been. Instead of focusing on the right here, right now, in the present moment of my days, I sadly replayed the (why have I never done anything right?) past and worried myself silly about the (I’m going to end up living in a box under a bridge) future.

My 2008 resolution to savor life woke me up in ways I never imagined. You have to be present – you have to be aware – you have to be in the moment to truly savor all that life has to offer. My extremely astute therapist made a big difference, as well. She awakened in me a kinder, gentler understanding of myself, gave me the tools to tap into my potential, and opened my slammed-shut door to anything-is-possible.

Last night, I stayed up until (way past!) midnight. I poured a glass of my favorite wine – J. Lohr Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon – saluted 2009 with a smile, and opened the fortune cookie I’d brought home from the Chinese restaurant.

On the scrap of paper was written “trust your intuition” – a validation if ever there was one. Trusting (finally!) my intuition the past year has made all difference for me, and yes, it has also brought me good fortune.

To do in 2009 – not surprisingly, I will continue to savor life and I will continue to trust my intuition. I will also make one new friend (hey you – yes, you – I’ve got my eye on you!); I will spread good cheer; and I will remember the old Chinese proverb, “If you keep the green bough in your heart, then the singing bird will come.”

If Kim was right, I will be smiling a lot, as well; enjoying fine wine; and opening myself to all sorts of good fortune.

A new year is beginning, full of promise. May we have our best year ever; may we love as deeply and laugh as often as we can; and may we do at least one thing we’ve always dreamed we’d do….

Happy 2009, y'all!

1 comment:

Alison Kent said...

OMG I just logged into my Library Thing account for the first time in a year and a half, heh, and saw you'd left me a comment in August of '07! I asked a mutual friend of ours for your email several months ago, then never even wrote! We've got to catch up!