Friday, September 12, 2008

Stormy Weather



“This being human is a guest house; every morning a new arrival; a joy, a depression, a meanness; some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome them all! Even if they are a crowd of sorrows who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still treat each guest honorably. He may be cleaning you out for some new delight.” ---Rumi

I’ve wanted to use the Rumi quote to introduce a blog post, and today it seems the Universe, in cahoots with Mother Nature, has given me a good-as-any reason

Hurricane Ike will be a guest in my little corner of the world in approximately 12 hours. The library is closed today and tomorrow, my pre-storm preparations are complete, and I’ve hunkered down for the duration of his visit.

I have bottled water and a freezer full of ice. Those plastic containers we all save obsessively came in handy. They’re great for making small chunks of ice that fit perfectly in the cooler I’ll use to store my boiled eggs, ham, turkey and cheese, once the power’s been off for a while. I have lots of clean sheets, towels and clothes in case I’m without electricity for more than two or three days. I’ve stocked up on the four major food groups: ham/turkey; cheese; chips; and chocolate; oh, and some really luscious grapes that Kroger had on special yesterday evening.

One fellow shopper groused about the lack of “good” bread on the store’s shelves, but there were dozens of loaves of rye bread. In my opinion (which I chose not to share - fellow shopper looked a little frazzled!), there’s nothing like ham and cheese on rye with Dijon mustard to chase away the bad hungries.

I have flashlights and batteries and a nifty transistor radio that worked like a charm during Hurricane Rita. I may not be able to watch Channel 2 news, but I'll be able to listen. I have a stash of books to read, a cell phone (fully charged), a laptop with wireless (also fully charged) and an old-fashioned plug-in telephone that doesn’t require an electrical outlet to work.

I’ve tucked my potted plants under the shrubs close to the wall of my townhouse, and later, I’ll be packing up a few of my special things – mostly porcelain vases that belonged to my grandmother – and storing them in my utility closet. My photos are already safely stashed in plastic tubs. As for everything else, all the other stuff I own – what happens…happens. The only irreplaceables riding out the storm with me are Grace and Zoey, and if necessary, all three of us can fit into the powder room under the stairs.

Of course, there are things that matter to me, but if those things are ruined by the storm, then so be it. Sure there would be a big mess to clean up if the roof blows off or windows break, but stuff is stuff. To be honest, some of my stuff has worn out its welcome. For example,the sofa and chair in my living room – wow – those two pieces of furniture, and the memories attached to them, would be better off in Oz.

The latest update on the local all-hurricane-all-the-time TV station has verified that the guest is most certainly on his way, and if past experience – Hurricane Alicia in August of 1983 – is any indication, I’m in for a long night - high winds, heavy rain and a major power outage. I so wish that my guest could have planned his arrival for the daylight hours, but that seems to be typical of the guests we’re least eager to entertain. They have a tendency to show up at the worst possible time.

The good news is that, as sure as Ike will come, he will also go, and if those of us who have to put up with his visit experience a little clearing out, I'm hoping it won't be too tedious. I'm also hoping that each one of us will find some wonderful delight waiting for us after the storm, as well.

Shopping with a friend a few weeks ago, I found a new sofa and chair, perfect for my living room. Frugal person that I am, however, I wanted to consider the purchase a while longer. Now I'm done considering, and let me tell you, folks, I'll be getting that sofa and that chair, whether Hurricane Ike hurls the old ones out a window or not!

No comments: